St Petersburg, FL Under Stairs Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kcbaker, Jun 27, 2010.

1. kcbaker

kcbaker New Egg

Jun 19, 2010
    Tampa Bay

This past school year, I did an embryology unit with my 2nd grade class and decided to try keeping them this summer as a fun project as home with my kids. I figured that if it didn't work, we could clean the coop and use it for storage. the coop is not quite finished but I think my husband and I are doing fairly well for clueless 1st timers. Because space is an issue in our tiny yard that already has a swingset and pool, we decided to build our coop under our stairs (we live on stilts).

We flood frequently during hurricane season so the coop is raised with a hardware cloth floor. I was wondering if any of you think it would be possible to compost under the coop? This way I utilize the droppings. Also, I know the run is very small, most of the day the our 5 chicks have access to our fenced yard. Which does have grass aside from the area you see in the pic.

Let me know what you think and any cheap suggestions. 90% of the wood used came from pallets and left over wood from our daughter's swingset.

Also, do you think it would be possible to add goats to our mini farm? lol (Baker's Acres)
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    Hey! I'm originally from St. Pete Beach area! Ha! Keep those chicks cool. Gets mighty hot down there!
  3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Awesome use of space... [​IMG] [​IMG] from me
  4. kcbaker

kcbaker New Egg

Jun 19, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks. The way our house is set up we have an almost constant breeze underneath. The chicken's run and coop are always in the shade with lots of ventilation in the coop. It sure is hot. I'm sitting next to the coop and the thermometer next to it says 90 degrees. It was worse yesterday.
  5. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    Hi there! Love the use of space! I'm here in St.Pete, too! I also work in the school system, but in High School. Where do you teach?
    Composting underneath it is an interesting idea, but it might get pretty smelly for the birds, as well as hot, as keep in mind the composting material lets off a surprising amount of heat as it degrades.
  6. kungfukitty

kungfukitty Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Eureka, CA
    What a great idea. Very clever space usage.
  7. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    [​IMG] Howdy neighbor!! [​IMG] You have come to the right place for information and support! BYC is phenomenal!! I love the use of your space! Stilt houses in FL do have wonderful air flow and breeze! Love it [​IMG] . Can't wait [​IMG] to see more pictures! WE LOVE PICTURES on BYC!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by