stacking in little giant forced air

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rayray983, Jan 26, 2014.

1. rayray983

rayray983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    cushman arkansas
    Okay had a old man tell me today he used to stack 80 plus eggs in his forced air little giant incubator he claimed it was only supposed to hold 48 to 50 eggs and he had great hatches with it anyone else ever tried this or done this ????

2. brokenhobble

brokenhobble Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    that just seems to me it would cause issues with turning eggs...

3. rayray983

Dec 30, 2013
    cushman arkansas
    He told me hand turn and swap out eggs on top for eggs on btm every turning idk if it really works I have a full incubator and he gave me 12 free eggs today some EEs and my bator is already full I guess I'll just try it and see how it works he even showed me old pics of his incubator and all the eggs stacked in it and I'm just like wow lol I kinda lean toward the older and the wiser over the manufactures instruction because honestly if I would have followed LGS instruction I would have filled two outer rings with water and waited for their thermometer to reach 99.5turn dial back to light goes off and add eggs lol I'm just rambling now but I so am going to try it and see how it goes

4. brokenhobble

Jan 25, 2014
    that makes since idk y it wouldnt work. good luck

5. rayray983

Dec 30, 2013
    cushman arkansas
    Thanks this is only my second hatch ever so I listen to everyone

6. brokenhobble

Jan 25, 2014
    im fairly new to the hatching as well i got a few eggs that are due to hatch tomorrow so Im pretty excited. ive had better luck with broody hens, my very first hatch i ever did i did 36 eggs and hatched 4, lol i was kinda bummed at the percentage but it was still fun, been getting better, i just got an egg turner and that makes things much better. my next investment will be a thermometer that measures humidity cuz thats what i lack. well ill be curious to know how your egg 'packing' goes

7. rayray983

Dec 30, 2013
    cushman arkansas
    I finished my last hatch last wed and I did dry hatching so easy and out of 45 eggs 43 hatched! Kinda got me hooked lol good luck with this hatch hope you have better luck

8. rayray983

Dec 30, 2013
    cushman arkansas
    And I got a indoor outdoor thermometer hydrometer from Walmart for 12 bucks love it!! And calibrating it was easy just took ice out a freezer put in cup filled with water and shoved the prob in it register 32.5 degrees so I knew it was spot on I check it once a week just to make sure its not going wonky on me

9. brokenhobble

Jan 25, 2014
    awesome ill have to check into that thank you

10. rayray983

Dec 30, 2013
    cushman arkansas
    Stacking has worked! I started with 72 dropped one early on and one was a stinker and 4 infertile one silkie internally piped tonight so I started lock down a day early but I have 66 very well developed eggs going in lock down now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by