stag house (tractor)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nellynelly, Feb 25, 2014.

1. nellynelly

nellynelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Bogota, Col
    i want to construct a chicken tractor to run behind the cows. i would like to keep all the young roosters in the tractor, so they can grow out. i was planning on having them fully free range. will they all get along? the tractor will be close (~100 meters) to the hen houses, will the young roos try to get over teh fence to join the hens (with resident roo)?

will the proximity of the hens create a problem within a group of roos?

thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They should be fine for a while. It depends on the breed and the individual.
    I've raised bachelor groups before with no problem and groups of hens much closer. Recently though I've done it again with the same breed and they fought much more so I keep having to pull one out. Usually that doesn't get bad till well after butchering age.

3. nellynelly

Apr 8, 2012
    Bogota, Col
    we rely on broody hens for raising chicks. so we are constantly getting new roos, would it be ok to add young roos to the stag tractor, if it all ready houses older birds?

would it be a good idea to always process a few birds when adding new ones (to mix up teh pecking order)?

4. nellynelly

Apr 8, 2012
    Bogota, Col
    also, would the young roos know that the tractor is home (if they are never locked in) or have a confined run?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by