Staggared hatch humidity question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by harleyjo, Mar 22, 2012.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    How crucial is humidity between day 14 to day 18 when I go to lockdown? I won hatching eggs and they were suppose to be here this week or maybe I misunderstood. Anyway, I have to get some eggs in the incubator. In fact, I just set them about 15 minutes ago.

I thought these eggs would be here by now and someone local asked me to hatch some silkies for him. He started collecting eggs last Wed. and brought them to me Tues afternoon. So I had to get them in the bator.

I still have not recieved notification that my eggs have shipped. I expect it in the next day or two now and they will come priority mail. So I could be about 4 or 5 days behind on these hatching eggs. I only have one incubator. When I lock down these first ones will it be too humid at day 13 or 14 for those eggs added late?

2. ChickenPrnces

ChickenPrnces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    Look-up a "dry hatch"! No water is added until lockdown so the humidity will not be quite as high! You might be able to use that to stagger!

3. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    IDK, but i would like to know if it is possible! i would love to be able to stagger a batch or two.

4. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I do use the dry hatch method and so that is why I am wondering if it is going to be a problem for those eggs at day 13 or 14 when I go into lockdown at day 18 on the first eggs? I know ideally a second incubator would be the way to go but that is not possible right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by