Staggered hatch - need help please? (newbie in action)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TOL Chick, May 19, 2010.

1. TOL Chick

TOL Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Milford, MI
    Hi -

I have 2 hatches going in the same incubator (Hovabator 2362N w/ forced air). [​IMG]

Hatch 1 / Day 22
    11 eggs - 4 chicks out, 1 zipped (since midday yesterday), 6 still in shells
    - I've not "helped" zipped chick, leaving him alone

Hatch 2 / Day 20
    9 eggs

I'm somewhat worried about the other eggs, since I did not see the "hatch in egg carton approach" until yesterday. [​IMG][​IMG] The 4 darlings have been doing laps and moving the other eggs around. [​IMG] I have tried to move them to the edges of the incubator a couple times, but I hate to keep opening up the top, even thought my temps (99.5) and humidity (60 - 65%) are holding well.

I do have the brooder heating up now, and was planning on taking the 4 out midday, using the high heat/steamy bathroom approach I've read here on BYC.

Questions are:
    1. Should I stick to my plan and take the 4 chicks out to stop the mayhem on the other eggs?
    2. Chicks are somewhat pecking at each other, I hope this will die down once they have more space and scratch in the brooder?
    3. Temps in the brooder - If I am between 90 - 100 (on different sides of the brooder),is that a good place to start? I know the chicks will "tell me" based on where they are sitting in the brooder once I get them in there.

Words of wisdom greatly appreciated! [​IMG]

2. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:

3. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    It should be fine to take those little darlings out of the bator now and put them in the brooder. I am not one to go with the grain and can't leave the babies in there for 24 hours....no way.....they are little chaos cohorts with the eggs. I usually take them out as soon as they have their little feeties under them.

4. TOL Chick

May 4, 2010
    Milford, MI
    Many thanks ladies for your encouragement! [​IMG]

Is it too late for me to put my 2nd hatch group into egg cartons to hatch? they were in an automatic turner up until 2 days ago - have been "laying" on their sides for the last 2 ish days...

Thanks!

5. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    I would just leave them be as you are so close to hatch...my fear would be the opening of the bator for the amount of time that it would take to transfer them and set them up in the egg carton.

Good Luck! [​IMG]

6. TOL Chick

May 4, 2010
    Milford, MI
    Ok - I'll "hold the line" PinkChick!

I've got another couple dozen coming in a week or so, so I'll give those ago in the cartons...

Thanks![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by