Staggered Hatch - What Humidity Setting Should I Use?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ICanSpeakChicken, Nov 20, 2010.

1. ICanSpeakChicken

ICanSpeakChicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I am doing a staggered hatch and I wanted to know what humidity level people would recommend I use when my first eggs get to 18 days, I will still have other eggs in the bator at 16 and 13 days too. Buying another bator is out of the question as I have a lovely RCom 20 which cost me a pretty penny so the budget has all been used up [​IMG]

Ive set my humidity at 40% and was thinking of going to maybe 60% when the first eggs get to 18 days hoping it wont be too high for the other eggs, what do you think?

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    My eggs get so many different levels of humidity that I am no longer too concerned. I get hatches of 98% or better.
    My house also is usually humid so that may help.
    I set my humidity around 40% and the chicks had a bit of trouble getting out of the eggs but at 60% I have never "drowned" any either. Not only are homes very different but 'bators are, too. It may take a bit of ups and downs to get it right but right around 50% should be fine for all the eggs.
    Oh, and I never go on lock down. My 'bators get opened every day, sometimes several times. But again, I live with high humidity.

3. ICanSpeakChicken

ICanSpeakChicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks Nadine for that info

Ive found with the RCom 20 that temperatures and humidity are pretty solid, after opening the lid ive found both go back to their settings within a minute once you close it again.

So you think that a general 50% should be good for all the eggs? Would 60% be too high? I guess Im trying to find that balance between not having them shrink wrapped at hatch but not drowned either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by