Staggered Hatch

JMoriarty111012

Chirping
Sep 5, 2016
Kentucky
Hey all. After tweaking and new thermometers, I finally got my incubator temps stable. I have 20 quail eggs that are on day 12, 17 on day 8, and 24 on day 4. I didn't intend on having so many eggs with different hatch dates, but I got the first batch while waiting for the second to arrive. They should have came the day after, but didn't. Then, when 6 eggs from the first batch didn't develop, the gentleman I got them from brought me 2 dozen more to replace them. I couldn't just let them go to waste!

Tomorrow the first batch needs to go on lock down. I've been incubating using the dry method. I obviously need to raise humidity for hatching as well as stop turning. The issue is that I don't have an automatic turner. I just prop one end of the incubator and then alternate to the other. So, will it hurt my hatching eggs to still be "turned?" All my eggs are in quail egg cartons. Should I just open the incubator a couple times a day to prop the cartons of the other eggs and then add water to make up for humidity loss?

I don't use either of those bulbs. I like to use a regular light bulb. I didn't like the red light so I tried a regular light bulb. the light bulb that I use keeps them warm and works just as well.

Back
Top Bottom