Staggered hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Aquaholic, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Aquaholic

Aquaholic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2017
    I have a lot of different eggs in my sportsman incubator, ducks 2 types of quail, guineas, pheasants, bantams and regular chickens. All have different hatch dates. What is the importance of lockdown. How often do you clear chicks? We've had quail hatch for 7 days straight off the same batch!

I heard that you can take the bottom tray out and keep the turner running while you're hatching other eggs?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Do most even understand "lockdown"? Lock down is Lock down. 3 days before the eggs are due to hatch I increase the moisture at least double and I lock-down till the day after the hatch day and then un-lock/open(first time since lockdown) and take the chicks out.

If a person opens at will during the hatch---they are not Locked-Down so why even use the word?

I stagger set eggs in my incubator all the time But I use a hatcher to hatch in so I can have a higher moisture for the hatch and not effect the eggs in the incubator. . If you are going to stagger set---I would suggest you figure out the hatch dates so once a week you can move the eggs due to hatch in 3 days to the bottom----increase your moisture, let them hatch, then remove the hatched and drop your moisture until time to move the nest batch to the bottom---once a week.

3. Aquaholic

Apr 21, 2017
    Are you a great PeeDee river man? I'm not very far from PeeDee myself.

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Okay now I'm curious.
    what's a PeeDee? is it like a river? or is it like a town? where's it at ?
    Thanks ,
    Karen

5. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG]

6. Aquaholic

Apr 21, 2017
    Great PeeDee river starts as the Yadkin river in NC when it crosses into SC it's name changes to PeeDee it then flows into the Atlantic through Winyah Bay near Georgetown SC.

7. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    We call it the Big Pee Dee River, but The Great Pee Dee is its name. I am a little distance from it. I am real close to the Little Pee Dee River---well a creek on my property feeds into the Little Pee Dee a few miles down. I am in Conway----we always called it the Gate-way to Myrtle beach.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  8. Aquaholic

Apr 21, 2017
    Lynches river runs the back of my place. I have a house in pamplico about a mile from Bostic landing on big PeeDee.

9. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    OK, do you attend the chicken Auction in Cades?

10. Aquaholic

Apr 21, 2017
    White Oak rd.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by