Staggered Hatch??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GracefulBantams, Feb 12, 2008.

1. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I want as many chicks as soon as I can get them ([​IMG]), but I have come to a road-block on my planning and I need some advise....
    I set 13 eggs yesterday evening, with plans of adding another batch in a week. Now, I'm wanting to add a couple each day, but either way, I have the problem of not knowing when to stop/start the automatic turner as some are hatching and other's aren't ready yet [​IMG]
    Any advise???

You can see my first post by clicking on that link.

2. Kaneke

Kaneke Chillin' With My Peeps

get a second and maybe third incubator ? that way the staggered hatch won't affect the first-in eggs ... and if anything goes wrong with one bator, you have the others ...

Candy

(maybe make them using MissPrissy's scheme ?)

3. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you add another incubator to use just as a hatcher?

That is what we are, doing. we have one that will be ready for the eggs that are going to hatch.

We have been writting the set dates on the eggs and then we will pull whoever is going onto their 18th day into the incubator that has temps and the higher humidity ready for the last three days.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  4. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thanks, but IDK if I am "talented" enough to make one myself, and it could get pricey buying one or two more...

Isn't there any way to do a staggered hatch in one 'bator??

5. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Wooden_pony, that is a good idea. I want another incubator, but I would like to find a used one so if would be cheaper.

6. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Keep an eye on ebay I just got an LG still air for a little over $37.00. Where I live they sell for 59.99 plus tax. So even with shipping I got a great deal.

Isn't there any way to do a staggered hatch in one 'bator??

No because of the humdity you have to change to for the ones about to hatch. It will be to much for the other eggs not ready to hatch.

Good luck with your hatches!!! [​IMG]

Edited because I can not spell [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  7. GAhen

GAhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Carrollton GA
    Post that you are looking for another bator on Buy sell trade section.
    I got a good deal on one on ebay too.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I wouldn't attempt a staggered hatch without another incubator to use as a hatcher. You may end up with no chicks at all because no egg will be getting the correct temps and humidity.

9. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I tried it and it doesn't work. A few hatched out of the first batch set, none hatched out of the later ones.

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It doesn't work too well in a cabinet style incubator either. The humidity change throws off hatch.

I ended up buying a seperate cabinet style hatcher too, it also works great if you want to seperate eggs for any reason before they hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by