staggered hatches

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by monita, Oct 11, 2009.

1. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    what does everyone thing about staggered hatching with wide gaps between hatch dates?

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    heck I like to stagger hatch at about a day interval...at least it kinda works out that way! i keep like zero records and just kinda stick eggs in and like all types so they hatch all the time and sometimes I come home to an irritated wife cause they get out the little air holein the back and then they run around the ouse and that is fun and yup...I likes staggered hatching...or as we call it..continous hatching [​IMG]

3. monita

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    lol... that does sound like fun. where do you set the humidity for the last 3 days? mine is set between 50%-60%. can i leave it at that to hatch or do i have to increase it and will increasing the humidity hurt the eggs that still have a while to hatch?

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I don't mess with humidity! I have a dish with a sponge in the top and keep it full! Yup very scientific and exacting and I am still capable of hatching eggs!!

5. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I do weekly hatches in one incubator(so far I haven't had to start the others up (((YET))). I just increase the humidity starting on the 18-19th day and then return it back to normal when they are done hatching. This has worked great for me.

6. erijn5

erijn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    I was just thinking of doing this, and you are answering my question!!!!!!!! [​IMG] Thanks for posting!!! [​IMG]

7. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

We stagger hatched all this past year. Half the bator every 2 weeks. That way the ones in the bator go to the brooder, the ones in the brooder go to an outside chick pen with light and the ones in there go to the transition pen and the ones in the transition pen went to the yard. Worked out great and we will be doing that again this next hatching season starting in December.

8. monita

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    i am glad to see everyone say that their staggered hatching experiences have been good because i want to hatch a variety of eggs but i want to know who is hatching when and not have to buy and set all eggs at the same time. if i can hatch every week or 2 would be great. and i like that whole transition thing. i think i might try that...lol

9. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    that transition thing sounds like it takes planning and records...way too much work! Trust me the throw stuff in there and be surpised when you hear peeping! It is so much fun...kind like Christmas!!!

10. monita

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    if i do that i would have posts galore in "what gender or breed" on her until i get to know what each one looks like.lol and that may take a while. lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by