staggered hatches?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChelleEnchanted, Apr 30, 2008.

1. ChelleEnchanted

ChelleEnchanted Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Ohio
    I've got 15 eggs on day 13 and i just sat 16 new ones seeing as how they will probably be my last fertile eggs [lost my roosters].

They're in the same incubator and such. I've done this before but i lost my whole first clutch of the season.
    The just stopped developing, im guessing my heat spiked or something of the sort.

You think these will be okay?
    I really can't lose these ones. [​IMG]

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    You will need to move the first round set to a hatcher on day 18 or the humidity will be too high and the chance of bacteria overwhelming the other eggs will be a threat. Not to mention the chicks hatching out and damaging the more fragile new embryos.

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    If you don't have a hatcher, you can move the newer eggs to a very temporary type of set up for the three days of hatch and after quickly clean the incubator and put them back in it to finish. Some have use a clamp light in a plastic box with the eggs on a damp cloth. Having a hatcher is the best way to go. You can build one very easily. Check out homemade incubator in the search feature there as several very easy one you can make. I have made several.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by