1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Staggered hatching and introducing new chick.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jennn27, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Jennn27

Jennn27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    I have a new hatchling that's a few days old. It's in a brooder box, under a heat lamp and doing great. I also have an egg about to hatch in a few days in my bator. When is the best time to put them together, and what is the safest way to do it? Thanks!

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    As soon as the new one is dried and walking well (maybe a day old), you can put them together. Keep an eye on the younger one to make sure it gets enough food. About how far apart will the chicks be in age?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  3. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    So this happened last night!!!

[​IMG]

The other one I have is maybe 5 days old.

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    They'll be fine together...in fact they'll all appreciate the company! Yes, as @TheKindaFarmGal said, do make sure the littlest ones are getting food, but that's usually not an issue. I sometimes combine chicks that are more than a week apart in age and have never had an issue. Cute cute cute!

5. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    OK. Great! Thank you! I was quite surprised as there were no pips or anything last night when I went to bed. Guess they were in a hurry. lol

6. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    BTW....of the remaining eggs, only two of those are viable. I have moved the chicks out, so they don't knock the other eggs around. They are in a separate box for now. I want to give them time to get steady on their feet. Thanks, again!

7. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    Update: I put them together last night, and all is well! I tried to the other day, but there was some bickering, haha, so I seperated them with a screened window between the boxes, and that seemed to have helped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by