Staggered hatching of eggs set on the same day?!?!?! HELP PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gardenknitter, May 17, 2010.

1. gardenknitter

gardenknitter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Ok, this is my first hatch. They are Guinea eggs. I know the date that I set them, but momma had been sitting on them a few days before that. They have been in the bater 21 days now.

After candling, is it clear that I have eggs in three stages. Several look like they are due anytime, several look just a little behind that, and then a few look like they are even further behind. All of them are alive and moving (well, except the ones that are furthest along, too dark to see, but their air sac looks good and ready). So I am guessing maybe this will be a staggered hatch that will take place over several days, perhaps a week? Is that possible? And if this is the case, what would be the best humidity that would keep them all relatively happy - not too wet for the growers yet not too dry for the hatchers?

I wouldn't be surprised if the first ones hatch around Wednesday this week and the last ones the first part of next week. That is my best guess anyway after candling, monitoring, and reading everything I can get my hands on. After candling them tonight I have separated them into groups...I guess I am thinking that after the early ones hatch I'll have to carefully remove the chicks to wait on the next set. I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway!! I hope it all works out.

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    I don't know what to tell you. Maybe split the difference between hatch humidity and lockdown humidity.. That way it may not be too wet or too dry for the different stages.. Just a guess.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i would think if you keep the humidity around 65% that should be okay. Do you have a still air or forced air? Because i find with my Hova Bator Genesis, which has a thermostat controlled fan unit, it gets it back up to temp and humidity fast if you need to open it for any reason.

i've only hatched one batch of guineas. One hatched at around 24 days, the others went to 27 days. i've read elsewhere here that they rarely go the full 28 days. i think, as much as possible, you want to leave all chicks in the incubator until the hatch is complete. That being said, i tend to pull chicks out after 24 hours, if they are fully dry (and pecking at the fan unit). [​IMG] i just try to be super quick about it.

4. gardenknitter

gardenknitter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Thank you both so much for your input!! Another question...shoud I go ahead and stop turning the ones I think are about ready? Today is day 22...so excited!! [​IMG]

5. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Yes, you should stop turning on day 18. That gives them time to get into position to hatch. Good luck!

6. Glitterik

Glitterik Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2008
    Houston 77023
    I had a chick hatch herself right there in the turner and she was all fluffed and dry, sitting on the turner waiting for me to come home from work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by