Staggered hatching under broody??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by L0rraine, May 11, 2010.

1. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Okay, I was the INSANE person posting about "whether to help or not to help" the past few days (and having a close encounter with disaster when I did help). So the first one made it, in spite of me causing a bleeder. I opted to let nature take it's course with the second one and, probably no surprise, it was out on it's own this morning. So I went to take the last three eggs out of the nest today, so Mom duck could get on with the mothering thing, and darned if I don't have another one 'in process'. So if I have to wait until tomorrow for this one to hatch (these have been notoriously slow) how is that first duckling going to be doing if Mom waits until the fourth day to take him out for his first feeding and watering? Geez, it seems my last few hatches have just happened without incidence. And now this one's got me a nervous wreck. Anyway, here's a picture of miracle duckling #1 (they are all little miracles aren't they??? [​IMG] ) He/she's a Magpie mix, but looking mostly Magpie.

[​IMG]

2. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Adorable! Can you move some water and food in near the nest for the ducklings? Or can you candle the unhatched eggs then move them to an incubator for hatching?

How do wild ducks manage to hatch 10 at a time???

3. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Yep, I've wondered about both options. Hesitate to bring the last (hopefully 'last') viable egg in and then lose it (but I'm warming up the incubator). Her nest box is a little small, but I can definitely move food in, and think I can come up with one of those small chick waterers that I haven't used in a long time.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll probably try one or the other before the end of the day. And, yes, Nature is a marvel.

4. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    aw just look at that little cutie! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by