Staggering a hatch, please help me out!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by littlelemon, Mar 31, 2009.

1. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    I have a Genesis Hova Bator with an egg turner which I have had great success with in the past. However, I am going to be staggering a hatch for the first time and I need some advice.

I have 7 eggs in now that are on day 13. I am getting ready to put a new batch in the bator tonight, so they will only be on day 8 or so when the first batch begins to hatch.

My first question is about turning the eggs. I will be taking out the turner so the first batch can hatch, but once they start hatching I can't open the bator. How will the second batch of eggs do if they aren't turned for 2 days? Do you think I could just shake the incubator gently a couple of times a day and that would be good enough?

The big question I have is about cleanliness after the hatch. I will put paper towels down over the screen to minimize the mess, but I know that some mess will still get down into the water trough. After that first hatch do you think I will be able to clean the bator out without chilling the eggs too badly that are still in there? I am worried that if I can't take the time to clean out the bator that bad bacteria will grow in there and hurt the second batch of chicks when they hatch out. But I also don't want to chill that second batch of eggs.

Lastly, I would love to hear any tips or hints that you may have to help me with this staggered hatch. Thank you!

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would set up a hatcher for the other eggs. You reallyy do not want to open up the bator the last 3 day of cooking.

3. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I agree. I bough a cheap LG to use as a hatcher. I was going to build one, but figured materials alone would run about $25, and the LG was $41 so............

You definitely want a separate hatcher. Humidity levels need to be different for the two groups. Plus, they say DO NOT open the 'bator for those last 3 days!

4. Huny

Huny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    Seriously, I just did this and it was a wreck. I had a lot I think die during the hatch of the others because of a) not turning while the others were hatching b) the temperature and humidity changed. I had 15 viable on day 14 and only 8 hatched. To do it over again I would set up a different hatcher, add eggs every 5 days or so but move them over to a hatcher when they need to sit still.

5. littlelemon

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    Well, I am not gong to need to open the bator during the end of the hatch with either batch. I would need to open the bator at around day 11 or so to get out the chicks from the first batch and clean up a bit. Maybe I could do it in short spurts, just like when I candle the eggs. Just reach in quickly, shut the bator, wait until the temp gets back up, reach in quickly again, shut the bator, etc. When I candle the temp goes down into the 80's, but it is so short and I've never had a problem from that. My hatches have all been nearly 100%.
    Has anyone done it this way before besides Huny? And Huny, I am sorry for your outcome [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  6. littlelemon

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    I wanted to post an update here since my results from the staggered hatch were great!

I hatched 4 Welsummers (had 7 eggs, but only 4 pipped and hatched) while I had Buckeye eggs in the bator on week 2. I took a few of the slats of my turner out and built cardboard "walls" in a box shape so keep the Welsummer eggs contained and out of they way of the turner. The 4 chicks hatched and one did hop over the cardboard on day 2, but luckily at that point I knew my other 3 eggs were goners and I could open the bator and take the chicks out. Clean up was so easy-I took out the cardboard walls, the paper towel on the bottom, and presto-clean.

I let the Buckeye eggs bake in there and what do you know- I got a 100% hatch! I was so worried that the extra humidity during the Welsummer hatch would mess up my Buckeyes, but it did not! Now I have 11 Buckeyes and my 4 Welsummers and I am as happy as a clam!

I know it is not an ideal situation to stagger a hatch, but I really had no choice and I am thrilled to have such good results [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by