staggering dates for hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by snaphu, Jul 21, 2011.

1. snaphu

snaphu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Langley
    I have 4 eggs in the incubator... they were put in as they were layed, July 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th...

one of my questions is how do I manage them in my incubator? I have a table-top model 1602N THERMAL AIR HOVA-BATOR with an automatic turner...

should I take out the automatic turner now (it's day 19 for July 3rd egg) and just watch them closely?

and the next question is, do I increase the humidity now? and to what? I'm at about 60% right now

do I lower the temperature? I'm at about 101° - 102° F.

thanks in advance
    Sue (the nervous egg hatching newbie)
    [​IMG]

2. snaphu

Jun 18, 2010
    Langley
    by reading and researching other posts, I've realized my mistake... I should of "stored" the eggs in appropriate conditions, and then put them in the incubator at the same time?!!? [​IMG]

now I'm REALLY a NERVOUS WRECK! [​IMG]

3. GoodLuckCharlie!

GoodLuckCharlie! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    It could be fine still though. Since you have a 4 day period, depending on what time of day you added the first one maybe 3 1/2 days? Then, its supposed to be about the 18th day for lockdown, and that still gives you 2-3 days for hatching. If there's a chick that hatched and none others pipping right then after 24 hours up to 48 hours, then I'd throw a towel over your arm and the incubator and reach in quick and get the chick out (but if there's no pipping)-if any of them have pipping or holes then they could shrink wrap. Its a learning curve for storing the eggs for one hatching period, but hens do the same thing, and they get off their nest of eggs for water and food and some sit for long periods of time if they're really broody from what I read. [​IMG] From my experience, just keep the humidity where it needs to be...mine was too low on my first batch and most didn't make it. But my second is doing great. Good luck [​IMG]

Also there's so many helpful people on this site so I know they'll give their good advice too. [​IMG]

4. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    You're fine, only a 4 day difference. Just lock em down and watch em hatch! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    yes, also put some wet paper towls into the holes, add water (make sure it's HOT from out of the tap) and get them nice n steamy in there.

75% or 80% humidity for lockdown I think is about right.

6. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I agree with Farmer Dan. They're all only four days apart, shouldn't be a problem if your humidity has been good up till now. Turning is most important in the first week, and not as important after day 14. Just lock them all down now and they should be okay. And now you know that storing your eggs and setting them all at the same time is easier and less nerve wracking! Good luck, hopefully you'll have four little chickies very soon...

7. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Sorry, but I have to caution about the HOT water. If you put in hot water, you're going to bolster the temperature up too high and hurt the later eggs. I would use water that was comfortably warm or if you're able to measure the water temp -- go with around 100 degrees.

8. snaphu

Jun 18, 2010
    Langley
    one started to "pip" yesterday afternoon! and I woke up this morning to see it totally hatched, and another egg with a "pip"! [​IMG]
    I want to thank everyone here for your advice and understanding! It really helps to not be alone when you're so afraid and feeling helpless! [​IMG]

9. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Sunds like you're doing okay there! [​IMG] Any more pips yet?

10. GoodLuckCharlie!

GoodLuckCharlie! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Yay! How eggciting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by