Staggering Hatches

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by littledirtlane, Jun 26, 2010.

1. littledirtlane

littledirtlane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Richlands, NC
    Ok - I have no clue what to do - can anyone give me some advice?

I have 20 eggs in the incubator now and I am on day 17 - I just received 2 dozen eggs in the mail today...they are very special eggs. What should I do? I am doing a dry hatch - 50% humidity all the way...

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much...I am OCD and I can think of nothing else!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    You need another bator, or wait until the eggs are done hatching. A dry hatch is less than 50% btw. You might want to read a bit more on that. Good luck!

3. littledirtlane

Apr 14, 2010
    Richlands, NC
    Oh no...I don't have another bator...this stinks...

4. Imagesoart

Imagesoart Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    San Jose
    Maybe you can look up how to make one with a styrofoam cooler. I don't know how, but I have seen post on making one! Good luck.

5. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Couldn't you let the new eggs sit for 4-5 days until the other ones hatch. Most sellers send the freshest eggs, as long as they're incubated within 10 days. Heck, I've hatched old refridgerator eggs before with great success.

6. Imagesoart

Imagesoart Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    San Jose
    Maybe you can look up how to make one with a styrofoam cooler. I don't know how, but I have seen post on making one! Good luck.

7. littledirtlane

Apr 14, 2010
    Richlands, NC
    I am hoping for these guys to hatch a day early - I have kept the temp set at 100.4 the entire time - I have only had slight fluctuation - I am hoping that the extra degree would have saved me a day and maybe they will hatch on day 20 - that would be Tuesday which would mean these eggs would be 4 days sitting....2 days in transit - so they would be 7-8 day old eggs...I am still worried - these are my beautiful silkies from show quality lines! [​IMG]

8. Tim63

Tim63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Texas
    Order the cheapest GQF hova-bator, around 50 bucks, use it as a hatcher. Transfer eggs out of your current incubator on the 18th day to the hatcher, eggs are not turned after day 18. When I'm hatching, I have a good incubator I set eggs in every saturday. On day 18 I transfer them to the cheaper, plain-Jane incubator. I'm not sure if time will allow in your current situation? Something to consider for the future maybe.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  9. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    Thats what I do too. I set all my eggs in my cabinet bator, and when it's time for lockdown I transfer them to my Hova-bator. And I use another Hova-Bator just to hatch my quail and waterfowl. I would try Tractor supply, they might have an incubator ir Craigs List. Good luck. [​IMG]

10. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Aye, we have one LG with turner for incubation, another LG without turner we transfer eggs to for lockdown/hatching. Tractor Supply Company has LG for about $42 before tax.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by