1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stain on egg..under broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by usalbrechts, Jun 5, 2008.

1. usalbrechts

usalbrechts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    south east MI
    Hey, this is my first time trying to hatch eggs. I have some silkie eggs under my silkie with one more week to go. At day 7 there was an egg with a stain on the shell, like it was coming from the inside out. It was not wet at all just a brownish stain. The egg candled with a blood circle so I tossed it. Now over the last week another egg has the same kind of stain and it has gotten a little bigger. On this egg, which at first candled as a good egg, I can still see veins, but it does look a little different than the others. The shadowey part is bigger and it seems more fluid than the other eggs, if that makes sense. Since I can still see veins, I am reluctant to toss it, but I also don't want it exploding or anthing like that. Any advice would be GREAT as I feel like I really don't know what I am doing.

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I usually wait and candle on day 17 before moving the eggs to a hatcher. An egg that's ready to hatch will be mostly dark, so any that are not completely stuffed with baby chick I toss. I'm morbid, though... I have to crack them open and try to see when they died, or why. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by