stained or painted? What stands up best? Cleans best?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mudpaw, Jul 10, 2010.

1. mudpaw

mudpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    West Point, GA
    I'm trying to decide on whether to stain or paint my new bigger coop (to be built)...I think either would look good, but I just can't decide. How does the stain hold up? I don't want to have to redo it in a year or two. If I stain it, I will paint the interior white for clean-ability and light reflection in winter. Or should I just pain the whole thing? I have a smallish backyard and I don't want this coop to be overpowering...So...which do you think?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    The stain looks the best longer than paint. Paint gets pecked at, chipped, etc unless you put on multiple coats.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Thompsons water seal on the outside for weather resistance, & latex paint on the inside for cleaning. That's what I'd use.

4. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    Quote:This sounds like a good idea.

5. mudpaw

mudpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    West Point, GA
    Yeah, I'm leaning towards the stained/sealed with latex-painted interior. We have a wood privacy fence we adding to this summer (the coop backs up to the fence) and I'm going to stain the old and new fence so hopefully they blend better-so if I do the same to the coop- it will blend nicely I think :>

6. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    I *really* like the Behr Solid and Semi-Solid Siding/Fence Stains. They come in a huge array of colours and last forever. Our run-in shelter for the pony is stained with the Behr Solid Stain for Siding and Fences in Colony Blue [​IMG] Looks fantastic.

7. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    We used the Thompson's Water Seal in a Honey Gold color. This gives you the option to water seal the coop but also add some color. They have a few colors available. On the inside we applied polyurethane.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by