Stained wood or pressure treated.....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ThinkingChickens, Jul 6, 2011.

1. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I'm amazed by the cost of wood. Here a 2x4x8 is $3.09 or pressure treated is $4.85. Since we already have a gallon ($50) of Cedar Penofin we are debating going with Douglas Fir to save on cost. What are everyone's thoughts on this? Oh, this is for our walk in run. A good majority of the run will obviously be welded wire and hardware cloth. What did you guys use?

2. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm in a big city and paid the same price at Home Depot for my 2 x4's. Sucks!

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'd buy the treated lumber since you'll have as much money in it anyway after you stain it, not counting your time and effort.

4. sammyh312

sammyh312 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    if its for support and anywhere near the gound, go with pressure treated.

5. foulman007

foulman007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2010
    Columbia SC
    in south carolina where our trees rust i always use PT.

6. ThinkingChickens

Feb 18, 2011
    Ugh, I wanted pressure treated so badly but DH went with regular as the lumber yard guy suggested it. Grr. Ha ha. It was still $300 for just the wood. Ouch! At least we already have the stain. I'll just have to be diligent with keeping up with the stain. [​IMG]

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'll just have to be diligent with keeping up with the stain.

Stain won't help on any parts touching the ground, or the joints where any pieces meet​

8. ThinkingChickens

Feb 18, 2011
    Quote:Stain won't help on any parts touching the ground, or the joints where any pieces meet

It will have to be pre-stained but you are right that it's not the best choice. However, our whole house is cedar, 200+' of fencing, our privacy screen and decks and none of those are pressure treated wood either but they are all in good shape after seven years. Believe me I wanted pressure treated but I'm thinking it's probably not so horrible after talking to the guy at the lumber yard. Hopefully things will hold up for at least some years before I really go chicken mad and convert another portion of the yard. Ha ha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by