Staining PVC, is it safe?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by southernblubird, Jan 20, 2014.

1. southernblubird

southernblubird Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    Hello everyone! I have a question regarding staining PVC pipe for a run only. Not for a feeder or waterer. So I am a bit vain and want to stain the PVC of a portable run to a love shade of not white. I found a great method that uses the pipe cleaner and dye to permanently change the pipe. The only way to remove the colorant is to physically file it away. This is the link I found: http://makezine.com/projects/make-30/stain-pvc-any-color-you-like/

Is it safe for the ladies? Do I need to get over it and accept the white? I live in a neighborhood and wanted to keep it an attractive operation.

Thoughts?
    (This is my first post, but I have been an avid reader/stalker for months. This is the best group and I would not feel as comfortable as I do in embarking on our first flock this spring without you all :D thank you all for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience! Xoxo)

2. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    First, let me say [​IMG] It's nice to have you here!

If the dye fully dries into or on the pipe, I don't see any problem with it. People paint and stain their wood coops without problems to the chickens.

Jim

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Hmmmmm....those photos of the colored fittings certainly are attractive.

I read thru all the comment discussion and it looks like the guy has abandoned the project.
    Wonder if it worked out?

Tho the ebay link in the comments for the dyes is active....and the verbiage on the ebay ad matches the blog.

ETA: I would assume that it's safe for the chooks, once completely cured.
    Not sure how it would hold up in the sun tho...or if the solvents would weaken the pcv under bend stress, pvc can be tricky in that situation anyway.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  4. southernblubird

southernblubird Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    Thanks for the replies. I had hoped the same, that once it's cured all should be well. I'll post pics if I decide to go ahead with it. I always have good intentions ;)

5. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Yes, please let us see the results! [​IMG]

I certainly can relate with "good intentions" when it comes to a project. Just take it one step at a time so you don't feel overwhelmed. Advice I have to give myself all the time.

Jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by