stale bread

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pastorwalt, Oct 15, 2011.

1. pastorwalt

pastorwalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    the local day old bread store has a bin labeled "bread for ducks and chickens"
    it's cheap. how much, what percentage of the diet do you think is good?

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I'm nor sure on the precentage but I only give it to mine a couple of times a week!!

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I feed day old bread, too, but not much of it. One loaf for 20 ducks, minus 5 slices that go to the rabbits.

Let's see. The ducks eat 10 pounds of feed every day and about 1 pound of bread. Very roughly 10% of the diet. I sure wouldn't give them any more than that. Also, I feed a feed that is higher in protein than they need, so I am not worried about the bread reducing their protein intake too much.

My ducks won't eat white bread. Only the whole grain. The geese will eat white bread, but they complain about it.

Price of the day old bread just jumped 50%. It's still half the price of the feed pellets, but it's not a balanced feed, so I am thinking about dropping it from their diet. It's a lot less of a bargain at the new price.

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I would use bread as a treat. I wouldn't use it as a staple. I also use vegetables and vegie trimmings as food supplements. But I always have commercial feed available for the girls. That way I know that they access to complete nutrition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by