Stall Conversion?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by flnatv, Apr 16, 2011.

1. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Has anyone converted a horse stall into a coop?
    I have two extra stalls, both 12.x12 and I would like to convert one of them into a chicken coop.
    Most of the chickens will be free range, but my daughter wanted a silkie and now a polish. We have ordered 5 silkies and 5 polish for her. Our other chickens are black Sex-linked and Orpington and 2 unknown somethings [​IMG]. Can I let all of these 4 breeds run together or will I need to separate the silkies and polish? I only want to give up one of the extra stalls at this time.... so what about dividing into 6x12 sections?

If I put them up in the coop at night, will I need a "run". No problem building one, I just wanted to know if it was an immediate project.

Do I NEED to build a true floor or can I keep the dirt floor (add pine mulch on top) and wire around the bottom to keep out predators? I have two horses that absolutley dislike dogs being in their pasture, so that should be a good deterent for strays.

If anyone has information on a good way to convert... I am would love for you to share.
    Another questions... both empty stalls are on the east side of the barn so should I use the north east or south east stall? My first thought is southeast. I do not wish to use a lot of insulation because it is bad for the horses not to have air flow.

Today my son and I finish working on the roof, tomorrow we start on the conversion. The sex-linked are currently in the bathroom inside and with the new silkies and polish coming... I need to start transitioning them to the great outdoors.

2. msudawgs56

msudawgs56 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    Grenada, Mississippi
    Hi,
    I am doing the exact same thing right now. I am actually splitting the stall into two "holding pens" and attaching a run outside the stall door. I am filling in all the gaps and and top ventilation areas with 2x4" fence wire. I am building a frame to split the stall into two and covering this area with hardware cloth. I am using sand on my dirt floor. I do not have any pics yet. Good Luck!

3. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Put up pics when you get a chance... I would love to see how you are doing it....
    I can't decide whether to make an entrance to the outside, the tack room, or the aisle way...
    Guess I have too many options... or I'm thinking too hard on what I can do.

Thanks for the info

4. Randallt

Randallt New Egg

Jul 18, 2010
    Lorena, Texas
    I turned 2 stalls into 2 coops and its been good. Texas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by