Stall dri is it Food grade DE?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rubysmom, Jun 21, 2008.

1. rubysmom

rubysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    I know that stall dry contains DE and clay. Does anyone know if it is food grade?? It says all natural but I'm not sure that means that its not the stuff that goes in the pool filter?

Anybody have an idea?

thanks [​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    This question has come up many times here and the general consensus is no, that it is NOT food grade DE.

Do a search for Stall dri and you should find several threads on the topic.

3. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Its primary use is for dry bedding. It has DE in it but because the majority of its composition is clay, it is not meant to be fed to animals.

4. rubysmom

rubysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks you guys. I had a feeling it probably wasn't just because it was so cheap. We are trying to stay as natural as possible but at the same time we have to consider our very close neighbors. [​IMG]
    Just trying to get the straight scoop before we make our choice. We haven't had great luck with good info from our farm store. Different answers from different people and a lot of eye rolling when you mention the food grade DE, just the mention of it seems to really get their panties in a bunch? [​IMG] I would definitely have to order it.

5. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Ruby,

If you have a local feed company, you might contact them about the food grade DE. I called our local feed company and found they didn't sell it in the store but buy it for the mill -- evidently it is used in some of the feed. I went to the mill and they sold me 10 lbs. at a reasonable price.

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:Check out my Food Grade DE page. The bottom section has a list of where to buy it by state. Perma-Guard had s distributor listed in Oregon.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by