Stall Dry as cat litter

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ZooMummzy, Oct 26, 2009.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I am not sure if anyone else does this, but my friend and I (who also does cat rescue) just started using Stall Dry as our cat litter. We have been adding Stall Dry to our cat boxes for quite awhile now to remove the odor and extend the life of the litter, but we recently decided to cut out a step and just use Stall Dry. After a week, I am very happy to say that it is wonderful! There is absolutely no odor whatsoever and the upkeep is very minimal, even less than scoop-able cat litter with none of the smell and the tracking is just about the same. We just scoop and stir every other day. We have read on other sites that the Stall Dry will last up to one month used as cat litter. If that is so, I've just cut my cat litter expense in half because 40lbs of Stall Dry at $12.99 a bag goes a really long way.

Just thought I'd share this with anyone else who hates litterbox smell and is looking for ways to get rid of it and make life easier!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

Does it clump like some brands of cat litter? I've gotten spoiled with the litter that clumps; it makes it so much easier to scoop out a clump of wet litter than the stuff of years ago.

3. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    No, the urine does not clump, it just falls apart when you stir it and the Stall Dry absorbs it. The only thing you have to scoop out is the solid waste but there is no odor to that either.

4. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I've been adding it to mine and big difference. I love stall dry.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

No odor?

Is it dusty?

How often do you have to dump the box?

Cats accepting it OK?

Imp- Thanks for posting this. [​IMG]

6. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Yeah, I couldn't believe what a difference adding it to the cat litter made. I could make a cat box with clay litter last 2 weeks just by adding it every other day. This was just an experiment and I'm happy to say it worked...so far! Now I just have to see if I can order Stall Dry by the pallet from my feed store, lol.

7. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:No odor whatsoever, which was totally amazing to me because I did expect some. Even with adding it to my regular litter before I would have some odor in between cleanings. I haven't had any odor at all.

No more dust than clay litter or clumping litter and the tracking is about the same too. Even with clumping litter you have "sand" around so I didn't really factor that into the decision. It is a lot easier on the feet when you step on it though!

I have only been doing it a week now so I don't know how long it's going to last, but other sites said up to a month with regular cleaning and stirring. I'm thinking I might have to add some halfway through, but we'll see. Even adding some in the middle of the month is going to be cheaper than dumping all my litterboxes every two weeks because the Stall Dry fills a lot more boxes.

And yes, the cats love it! Lol it's like a sandbox to them. I'm hoping it helps my cats who have a problem using the litterbox [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm gonna be trying this. I've never been completely satisfied with any cat litter, even tried the Layena crumbles for a few months.
    Thanks again.
    Imp- might even help with fleas. [​IMG]

9. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Great! I'm glad I could help [​IMG] I've never been happy with a cat litter either. I've tried all of them, even wood pellets. None of them keep the smell down like they claim and they never last long either.

I have never had fleas since they are all indoors and I have only hardwood floors, but I bet it would help! Another benefit!

10. AppyLuva92

AppyLuva92 New Egg

Apr 2, 2015
    I was wondering if Sweet PDZ would work instead? Not quite as cheap I don't think but I can get 25lbs for $9.99 at TSC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by