Stall Dry For Dust Bathing?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PineBurrowPeeps, Feb 7, 2009.

1. I know people use DE in their coops, and for dustbathing, and other who cannot get DE use Stall Dry in their coops in the shavings, but what about for Dust Bathing? Could I mix it with some wood ash and use it?

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I've used Stable Boy and food-grade DE.
    And during a false alarm concerning lice, I added Dri-Kill to the sand in my dust box indoors.

3. chickenlips1954

chickenlips1954 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    I used Stall Dry all by itself on the coop floor last summer and the girls loved it. Not only did they use it for dust bathing, but it kept the floor dry and the coop stayed odor and bug free all summer. During the winter I added Stall Dry to pine shavings that I put down for added insulation.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  4. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

Anyone know the difference between stall dry and barn fresh - another product from the same company?

Found the company that makes both - but can't tell from the web site what the difference is...

5. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

I use Stall Dry mixed in the wood shavings and the straw. I found my Mr. Roo taking a dust bath the other day and have noticed little spots on the floor where everyone else has taken a bath too.

I don't think it would hurt any to use wood ashes mixed with the DE. I read in another post that you can use the ashes too. So I don't think it would be any problem. Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by