Stall dry???? HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cjeanean, Jun 23, 2008.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Okay, so I got some suggestions from another thread I posted on a maggot and wet bedding issue with my meat birds. I called the feed store to ask about dolomite lime, and the guy suggested Stall Dry. He checked to make sure it's safe for chickens, and it is. It says the ingedients are DE and clay, and something that gives it a MILD (it's a very mild) scent. Non-toxic, blah, blah, blah. Has anyone here used this product before with their chickens??? How is it??? Does it work, keep down the smell/moisture/maggots??? Thanks everyone!!!

2. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Stalldry is basically like Stableboy I believe.. and It works, we use it to clean up our kennels, because it sucks the moisture out of the ground, and then you just sweet it away. I'm not sure about it getting rid of maggots, but since it sucks up the moisture, it'll prevent them. Next thing, perhaps is to keep the flies out... have you seen flies in your coop? if you have cluster flies there is a product you can get called cluster buster, and you stick it on the window. You don't want fly eggs, and you're in for worse if you have bot flies, but since the maggots were on the ground, it's likely not bots as the maggots are "born," in the gut of the animal.

3. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    stall DRY is safe for livestock. (sorry about the weird caps there; that's the actual name of the product.) as a precautionary measure, i'd do the dusting while the chickens (or whatever animal) weren't around, just to minimize breathing of the product.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've used Stall Dry for years in the henhouse....

5. Chickending

Chickending Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Minnesota
    I have used stall dry for years. It works great, I would recommend it. I use it for chickens, the turkeys, horses, it keeps it dry and smelling better than without. When I clean out the coop, I spread the stall dry down first on the floor then I add my shavings....as I stir the bedding up, it gets distributed. I add fresh shavings and then a few scoops of stall dry every week to keep things fresh. Then keep stirring up the bedding. It should work fine.

6. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    So if you can't find DE, stall dry would work as a substitute to keep the smell down?

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yes, Stall dry I believe has some DE in it anyway..

8. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    Quote:for odor issues alone, i'd go with agricultural lime. it's less expensive and easier to find. it doesn't have the clay like stall DRY, so it won't absorb as much moisture and it doesn't have silica like DE, so it won't kill insects.

it depends on your set-up and your issues (and your budget).

9. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Yeah. Me too. I have been using it under the roost and on the coop floor. The hen house is shared with goats. It really helps keep down the smell and moisture. I also use it under the rabbit cages.[​IMG]

10. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Recently, I switched from DE to Stall Dry (specifically to address odor and wetness). I got 25# of Stall Dry for $9. I think that's reasonable. I used about 6 cups in a 14 x 10 coop and now, three days later - no smell.
    It's worth a try IMO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by