Stall Dry, my new best friend...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tvtaber, Sep 15, 2008.

1. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    I was in the feed store the other day, and asked about food grade DE (diatomaceous earth). The nice clerk said they had Stall Dry which is DE and clay in tiny pellets. I said that is not the same and he said it will work. Dubious, but willing to try it for under $8, I bought a bag. I sprinkle it every week or two on the wood shavings and my wet, poopy shavings have turned dry and sem to last forever (well I am going on a month with a very thin layer!). The flies are almost gone and I have barely used any of the 42 pounds of stall dry. I also sprinkle a tiny bit in the goat shed and there are no flies and the poop dries out pretty quickly.

I was cleaning the coop every third week and the goat shed every week, but now there seems no need! I sweep out the goat shed out of habit, but the coop flooring is just a dry mix of shavings. This stuff rocks!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I use it all the time...especially when the weather is wet. Helps a lot!!

3. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    That sounds awesome!! I am going to have to see if I can find some here.

4. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    isn't it amazing!

5. my first peepers

my first peepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    They don't try to eat it? I have some DE that says it is safe for pet bedding and indoor use but I was worried about using it with the chickens because they eat everything...so Stall Dry is not foodgrade? I'm confused.

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I use deep pine shavings on my coop floor with DE and Stall Dri. Five months later the coop floor is perfectly dry and every surface in my work area is covered with dust. So moisture definitely is not a problem. You can get Stall Dri at Tractor Supply

1 person likes this.
  7. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    I don't know if they eat it or not, but the pellets are really tiny, more like sand really, and once they are in the litter they dissapear. Since it is DE and clay, I cannot imagine it would be any better or worse for them than the pebbled and other outdoor stuff they eat all day.

8. trishok8

trishok8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2008
    Scituate
    DE is the best stuff in the world. I NEVER, EVER have flies. I too, use it in the coop and in the goat barn. It's great.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  9. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I also use Food grade DE but have to order it online and for a 2 lb bag with shipping its about $26!!! 2lbs doesnt go far around here. Shipping costs a fortune, boy do i wish someone around the MN area would carry it!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  10. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Stall Dry = excellent, indeed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by