1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stall dry under roosts

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rarebreedeggs4u, Jan 15, 2010.

1. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Would it be OK to use just Stall Dry over a dirt floor under my roosts? I'm currently using shavings, but would like an easier clear up, kind of like picking out a horse's stall. Since Stall Dry is just DE and clay, would it be OK or is the inhalation factor too dangerous?

2. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    It will help for sure. In your place, I would make a poop board 24" wide and the length of the roost. If roost is not located so, relocate to make it 12" from wall. Make poop board of 1/2"OSB and glue linoleum on it. This is super easy to scrape [​IMG] and can be washed when time to change out litter. Make it removable. I use an 8" stainless steel drywall finishing knife to scrape. [​IMG] Mine only get washed once a year in April at litter changing time. The poop board will save you money and time, and will make the coop smell cleaner. Do not wash daily, just scrape daily. [​IMG] Great for compost, garden, etc. Guy on BYC said he had 12 ft sunflowers last year by using the poop in his garden.[​IMG]

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    The stall dri hould help but like gsim I would suggest adding the dropping board. I did with mine and it has eliminated at least 80% of the droppings from the floor.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Dropping boards are great and you can use the product there, too. Even if the temp goes below freezing the droppings will clean easily.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Stall Dry is fine in moderation, but I do not think it would be smart to have a large expanse of inches-deep Stall Dry exposed in the coop. Too dusty. Have you tried sand? It will freeze up if damp when you go into freezing weather (although, so would stall dry, stall dry is just less apt to *be* that damp) but I would not think in AR that you have *that* much of the year when that'd be a problem in the coop (?). For the rest of the year, BYCers who use sand in the coop report that it is very easy to clean with a stall fork, so I would think it'd be worth a whirl to see how you like it.

Sand or used bedding from the floor will do as good a job of keeping poo from freezing onto droppings boards as any DE product will, with much less expense, dust, or use of a basically-nonrenewable resource.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Great ideas, thanks so much [​IMG] My roosts are 18' from the back wall and about 18" apart, staggered in height like ladder steps. Everyone loves them, except the silly Silkies [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by