Stall dry vs DE

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gale65, Jun 26, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

If I'm not planning to use it for feed, is either one ok to use? I can't find plain DE anywhere and don't want to pay so much for shipping. I *might* be able to find stall dry locally. Anyone know of what chain stores carry it? We don't have TSC but we have a couple of Ace Farm Stores and also Rural King.

eta: we do have a TSC an hour away so I could go there if necessary.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Why do you need it? Inside the coop or in the run? Is there a moisture problem? Mite issue?

3. gale65

Just for prevention. I use DE in our rabbits' litter boxes but I don't have a lot of it and if I don't need the pure stuff for the coop bedding I'd rather save my $$.

4. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I get it at Agway. If you don't have them, try looking for horse supply places.

5. gale65

Quote:thanks-do you just sprinkle it in the bedding?

6. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I sprinkle the DE in the bedding/nestboxes (especially when you have broodies). I sprinkle the Stal Dry in the sand in the run and also under the roosts where most of the poop collects. I put pine shavings under there also to absorb the moisture from the poop also. I used to use pine shavings everywhere in the coop, but the dust that it created was incredible. I changed to straw and found that it cut down on the dust tremendously. Sure, the chickens create their own dust, but I have no doubt that the pine shavings were the cause of my problems. I just use pine shavings under the roosts because I feel that it's more absorbent than the straw.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  7. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Do you have a local feed mill nearby? That is where I get my DE for 14$ for a 40lb bag. They use it in their feed mixes, and all I had to do was ask them to ship in an extra bag with the next shipment, since they don't typically stock it for customers. Red Lake food grade DE, definitely happy with it!

8. gale65

I actually have several (we are firmly planted in farm country here) but none of them sell or have even heard of DE or any of its other names. I also called every farm store I could think of within an hour's drive (including TSC) and none carry Stall Dry at all (or DE). The closest I can find is Sweet PDZ but I really want something with DE in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by