Stan-the-rooster died last night

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by azygous, Oct 31, 2010.

1. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Can a rooster have a heart condition? Several months ago, my two-and-a-half year old SLW rooster Stan had what appeared to be a stroke. He was on his perch when I saw him go into a sort of seizure, flapping wings, almost falling off the perch, and comb turning a ghastly grey.

Up to that point Stan was a typical rooster, always challenging me, sometimes flogging me, and we'd have some gloriously enjoyable boxing matches. But after his stroke, he became docile and very affectionate, always agreeable to being picked up and cuddled. I didn't complain - I sort of enjoyed his personality change.

He had been going through his first molt and had been especially mopey this past week. Maybe it was a prelude to his death last night.

Has anyone ever lost a chicken in a similar way?

Anyway, my heart is breaking. I'll miss my little man who took his responsibilities so seriously.

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I don't have any answers, but sorry for your loss... [​IMG]

3. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    I've heard that poultry in general can die of heart problems. They are said to fall on their backs. Is that how you found him?

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Hi, sorry to hear that you lost your rooster.

I lost a young boy (a year old) from a presumed heart attack a few months back....he just dropped down dead ( Didn't fall on his back)

Chickens, particularly large breeds, do have both heart attacks and strokes.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  5. trinityfly

trinityfly Out Of The Brooder

I am sorry for your loss. It is always hard to lose a little friend. No, I have never seen a chicken have a heart attack but would suppose it to be a common occurance, though not in one so young. We too lost our roo last night, only I had to put him down. Sarg was a 5 year old white bantam silkie. He was the kindest and most gentle roo I have ever had. He was useless when it came to protecting the hens except to caw his "alarm" call when ever the sky seemed to be falling. Sarg just stopped eating and drinking and he displayed no symptoms that I could recognize or treat. When he could no longer stand up I knew it was time.

For the record here is an image of Sarg

[​IMG]

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Thank you all for the condolences. I know you can appreciate how easy and natural it is to grow attached to these quirky little crratures most people look upon as a utility for food.

I was almost sure I'd heard that about it being not uncommon for chickens to die suddenly from heart problems. I did find Stan on his back, and stretched out perfectly straight.

He wasn't an over-eater, ate lots of fresh veggies, so it wasn't his diet. He must have had some evil genes.

7. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    My sympathies to both of you. [​IMG]

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sorry for your loss.

The typical scenario of a chicken flipping on its back and dying refers mostly to cornish X -- what happens, it is felt, is they grow too fast for their heart to keep up. Not that chickens can't have heart attacks, strokes, or any of a myriad of other human conditions; they can. That could very well have been a stroke a while back, and his death could also have been another.

Doesn't really matter, does it; losing a pet is what it is, anyway. Again, sorry.

9. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My condolences... [​IMG]

10. Jarsheart

Jarsheart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    So very sorry for both of you. Very heart breaking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by