Standard and Bantam chickens together

Barnyard Dawg

Songster
12 Years
Feb 7, 2007
Northern California
Our rooster has gone to the pot after pecking my wife a couple of times last week. We were given a rooster which looks to be a bantam all of our chickens are standard breeds how would they get along has anyone ever dealt with this? We have 27 hens and now one rooster.

Obviously, there will be some bullying. We, unfortunately, have a few Bantams mixed in with our Standards now & my poor little Bantams are none too happy. Once we get our coop done, we'll be separating them... I'm praying my little girls can hold up for another week while we finish.

The rooster seems to be fitting in with the rest of the hens just fine, last night they slept together on top of the pen, he actually took over where the last rooster would sleep.

As you can see, ours all git along jist fine. There are orps, dots and 'caunas in this pic. They all roam the grounds together all day long and they even share coops and roosts at night. Of course, when it's roost time there is some loud "pecking" goin on till all are settled in.

Picture039.jpg

Back
Top Bottom