Standard barred Cochin boy or girl?

3 months standard Cochin a pullet or cockerel

• Total voters
Nope. Cochins tend to show their gender very early, with that early comb. Plus the double barring can only appear on a male. Finally, I see male specific saddle feathers starting to come in.
Plus girls don’t usually get that red that early, right? Not usually until they get closer to laying. My Cochin rooster I had was the same, I knew he was a bit at like 4 weeks old 😂 they sure do mature early! I love that.

Plus girls don’t usually get that red that early, right? Not usually until they get closer to laying. My Cochin rooster I had was the same, I knew he was a bit at like 4 weeks old 😂 they sure do mature early! I love that.
Okay thank you. I haven’t raised a barred chick yet. Only get em as young hens until this one. But I have noticed she is allllot lighter then my others barred hens.

Okay thank you. I haven’t raised a barred chick yet. Only get em as young hens until this one. But I have noticed she is allllot lighter then my others barred hens.

Right, pullets don't get that red that early, that's why I said that cochin boys show their gender early in the comb.

The double barring makes him look lighter like that...

Back
Top Bottom