Standard Brahma'a

nenenick

Chirping
14 Years
May 6, 2007
Hello all, I would like to know your personal experiance with standard Brahma's. There temperments and behavior, especially the Roo's. I have 6 - 2 week old chicks, which I hatched but I'm still thinking about my decision in picking them. It was a toss up between these and cochins! I would be interested and appreciate your comments!

Thanks in advance!

If I am not mistaken, brahmas are actually cochin crossed with, I think malay blood. My brother has raised them off and on now for 10+ years. I have 10 light, 10 buff right now. All the ones I have been around have been pretty "laid back". Lay great brown eggs, and are usually gentle to their people. Of course, there are always exceptions to every rule, I just haven't seen any aggressive roos or hens yet.

I agree, I have 10 light, 5 buff and 5 dark and they are all great. We also have a pair of buff banties and a light banty hen. None of ours are at all aggressive. They free range in the evening on 10 acres and you can walk up and pick up any one of them. I think that they are a great breed.

My friendliest hen ever was a light brahma hen, "Cindy." I've only had one so I can't offer too much but I can say that the one I had was a very calm and friendly and was a good layer. My aunt had two brahma roos and had to get rid of them they were the loudest roosters we had ever heard but they were not aggressive.

We love our Brahmas! We have 7 hens and a rooster all are very gentle and trusting. They are great with all of our children as well. (ages 4 mnths, 3 yrs, 5 yrs, 7 yrs, and 9 yrs.) They put up with all the holding and loving we give them and without any fight, they actually seem to enjoy it! And they are great mamas!!
Amy J.

I have two dark hens and they are the sweetest chickens out of our whole flock. They don't mind you picking them up at all, lay wonderful brown eggs, and one of mine is even broody this spring. I think next year I will put some eggs under her.

I would love to find some more standard buff brahmas but am having trouble finding some that aren't from a hatchery. I live in NC. Does anybody know of any close to me?

We have a total of 4, 1year old Standard Dark Brahmas. 2 Roos and 2 hens, (we had 5 butwe just lost a hen a couple of days ago).
sad.png
the hens are good layers, 1 a day most of the time, and the roos are pretty friendly. they have started to get aggressive if you harass the hens but otherwise they are mild tempered. When we let them free-range they tend to follow us around the property and they do like company. They aren't loud except when the roos crow.
smile.png
They tend to kind of coo alot and They are beautiful birds. We managed to hatch 4 more and have bought 12 Light from McMurry. We really like the friendliess of the breed and dont mistake them running at you cuz they are happy to see you for an attack. Cuz they really do run to meet us when we have been gone all day:D

Back
Top Bottom