1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Standard broody raising bantam chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lucretia, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Lucretia

Lucretia Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    DFW area
    Hi all! I recently had to move one of our Red Star hens from her flock because she was getting severely bullied... I think she went broody, and maybe that led to her getting picked on? She doesn't act sick at all, but she sits in one particular spot and won't move to eat or drink unless I go in and physically move her off her "spot." She's not been laying for more than a week either, but she's not egg bound. Anyway, even after several attempts to re-introduce her to her flock, they keep bullying her, so I've decided to keep her out and start a small second flock at my house (she was at my sister's).

I decided to order some day-old chicks, and am hoping that -- if she really is broody -- she will adopt the chicks. But I was wondering if it is safe to let a standard hen raise bantam chicks? I've been in love with bantams for forever, so I went ahead and ordered two. I just want to make sure that she and the other chicks don't attack them.

I used a brooder to raise our original flock, so I'm okay with using it again if Sally doesn't take to them, but I'd love to let her "be a mama." I just want to make sure I do it the right way to avoid any disasters! Is there some way I can make sure Sally is actually broody? The chicks won't arrive for a couple weeks, so is there a way I can get her on the right track?

I'd appreciate any help or advice! I'm really excited for my new chickies and hope everything works out as planned. [​IMG]

~Lu

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd certainly try it. Just add the chicks at night well after dark. I did this recently and it went fine. They were all LF, but a chick is a chick.... Hens raise ducks and turkey chicks, why not bantam chicken chicks?

3. Lucretia

Lucretia Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    DFW area
    Thanks for your reply. Sadly, I will never get the chance to find out if Sally would have been a good mama hen. She passed away this afternoon. Late yesterday I noticed that she was getting more and more lethargic. I went to check on her this afternoon and she could hardly hold her head up. I tried to coax her to take some water from a dropper, but she didn't even react. I guess I just knew something bad was coming. I took her out and held her on my lap, and a few minutes later she passed away. My heart is still breaking for the poor lady hen. I wish I knew what was wrong with her. She seemed to be improving so much...then just went downhill all at once. I wish I could have done more. I feel like I failed her. I'm glad she didn't get pecked to death by the rest of the flock...but still...I wish I could have saved her. [​IMG]

~Lu

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by