Standard Buff Brahma question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by joanm, Jun 1, 2007.

1. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    I had ordered a Buff Brahma from mypetchicken; on the website it said "standard" Well they had called me and said the chicks didn't hatch in time for my order and would I want to substitute, well, anyway I got astralorps instead. She told me that Brahmas were bantys. ??? Doesn't standard mean big? Maybe I'm confused!!! Anyway, I still want a brahma. Does anybody have some they can tell me about? It says they are very sweet birds.... any pics would be great too.

2. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    Standard is a word that is often misused when it comes to talking about poultry. Standard does not mean regular size. Standard means that it meets the "standard" for that breed. You want a Large breed Brahma, or heavy breed. The smaller ones are referred to as bantams. They can both meet the "standard" for the breed. Such as coloring and feathering and the foot color, etc...

Here is what the glossary in "Storey's" says:
    Standard. The description of an idea specimen for its breed; also, a chicken that conforms to the description of its breed in the "American Standard of Perfection", sometimes erroneoulsy used when referring to large as opposed to bantam breeds.

I hope that helps. Maybe you want to call them back and tell them that you want a Heavy breed Brahma and not a bantam brahma. Hope that it all works out for you.
    Kristyne [​IMG]

Edited for spelling errors.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  3. joanm

May 13, 2007
    I checked on the mpc website again and the "type" says Standard and Bantam - "Size" very heavy 8+ lbs. I do get the def of standard...thanks missusduray

4. missusduray

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    Sorry, didnt mean to sound rude. I didnt mean it that way. It is to bad that you are getting this much grief from them. If their site says that they are an 8 lb bird then how could it be a bantam. Strange.

I just got my order of chicks from ideal and I got buff brahmas as well. If you want a pic of the chick I can post it. Let me know. I just looked and Ideal calls them Standard Brahmas as well. Hmmmmm......

kristyne

5. joanm

May 13, 2007
    NO! you were not rude at all!!! I ment NOW I understand it! I'd love to see a pic. I guess that is what confused me on the website... see what I mean?

6. missusduray

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    Oh thank goodness! The last thing I want to do is offend anyone. Yes it is confusing. I was confused by it as well, until I read that in my book. I am glad that I could help.
    Here is a pic of one of my buff Brahma chicks.
    [​IMG]
    Here is one taking a nap.
    [​IMG]
    Enjoy!
    So far they are sorta timid but I think that they will turn out to be wonderful birds. They also are getting pasty butt so i have to babysit them quite often. I hope that dissappears soon.
    Kristyne

7. joanm

May 13, 2007
    How sweet! It is so funny the way they sleep!

I know what you mean about not wanting to offend anyone, typed words sometimes does not convey your real emotions!!![​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, when a hatchery says "standard", they mean large fowl rather than bantam. There is a standard of the breed, but hatchery birds are sometimes pretty far off that. The woman may have just been woefully wrong when she told you that and assumed Brahmas were all bantams. My feedstore owner thought the breed name was Buff Brahma and sold all the colors as Buff Brahmas. That's how I ended up with Lt's, which I didn't want. I kept them anyway and one turned out to be a cockerel.
    I have a Buff Brahma and a Lt Brahma pullet. They are now going on 18 weeks old. I did have that Lt Brahma cockerel, who was an Ideal Poultry sexing mistake and he was the cuddliest boy I've ever had-what a sweetie! I miss him, but didnt want a Brahma rooster. Actually, I find my Brahmas rather hard to get close to, but now that they are almost at laying age, they are mellowing.
    Here is my Lt. Brahma, Miranda and the Buff Brahma, Caroline, who has terrible foot feathering:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  9. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    Here is our light and buff brahmas, (standard size). The lights seem to be a little more personable than the buffs, the buffs aren't as inclined to approach ya and let you pick em up, but they are all great birds.

[​IMG]

10. chknoodles

chknoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    My wife is under the impression that buff brahmas only come in bantams. Is this ture or are there full size buff brahmas and where would be a good place to get them if so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by