1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Standard chicken picking on silkies

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by karen71, Aug 1, 2008.

1. karen71

karen71 Songster

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    Hi all,
    I have 3 golden comets 1 barred rock and 2 silkes they all came from the same lady and she had tons of different chickens.
    they sleep in a coop all closed up at night it is 4x8. I get up and let them out, they can stay in the pen with the goats it is 50x50. or they will wander the 3 acres.
    I have noticed that the larger hens chase and peck at the silkies- no one is injured the silkies just run. Is this a normal action for the larger hens to show who is the dominent chicken. Just wondering.

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Crowing Premium Member

That's the way the pecking order goes. In fact, I have a silkie that gets picked on by another girl, and my standard buff cochin acts as a bodyguard! No joke!
    You may want to try clipping the top knots on the silkies to be sure they can see well enough. I noticed that Gwen gets picked on more if she can't see.

3. karen71

karen71 Songster

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    Thank you Carrie
    We will trim the top nots and I willjust make sure they do not get harmed by the other girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: