Standard chickens and now got some bantams-do I need to change my coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GermanChick, Mar 5, 2011.

1. GermanChick

GermanChick Songster

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    I have 13 LF Hens with roost 4 - 5 feet off the ground. 2x4's with the flat side to roost. My nest boxes (6) are 1 feet off the ground 3 stacked on top of 3.
    This weeks I got 3 Polish and 4 little Bantams (3 Cochins and 1 Mille Fleur). Do I need to give them some lower roosting space or build a ladder up to the roost. I have no idea, do they even roost with the big girls? I also have 15 Standard Chickens coming next Thursday :) 10 of them are straight run so I won't have 15 hens in the end.
    So what do I have to do to make the little Bantams happy between all those big girls ?????

Here are pictures of my coop (last year, all clean before the girls moved in)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since I will have more chickens I will sacrifice some storage space and just extend the one roost in the last picture all along to wall and build a new separating wall (mesh) by the door.

2. elmo

elmo Crowing

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Mille Fleur is a color, not a breed. Do you mean you have a Belgian d'Uccle? Ours are somewhat clumsy fliers compared to our other bantams, but they easily manage to roost at 4 feet high. I have no idea of the flying ability of Cochins, sorry.

3. GermanChick

GermanChick Songster

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    Yes, I meant Mille Fleur D'uccle. I am just worried that those littlle guys will not make it that high......

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My little d'uccle has no problems getting up high either. But I too have no clue about cochins...

5. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Songster

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    My cochin banties make it up to the roosts with no problem and the lowest one is 34" from the floor. I did put a ladder in for the little girls and sometimes they use it and sometimes they just fly up.

6. Terri O

Terri O Crowing

My ;little chickens are always the ones on the highest level of the roost. I think they can fly better than the LF do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: