Standard cochin layed robbin sized egg! Pic included.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jessica117, Aug 5, 2009.

1. jessica117

jessica117 Songster

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    Right now we are down to a single peahen so we have been keeping a couple chickens in with her in her run to keep her company. Right now we have a standard cochin hen and roo in there and I've been leaving the eggs so the hen will hopefully go broody. Today we found this egg on the ground in front of the nesting box.

[​IMG]

The hen is about a year and a half old and didn't lay yesterday but has been laying just fine up until now. She is past the pullet egg stage and normally lays what I would call a medium to a large egg.

Should I be concerned?

It was just too cool not to break the camera out and share [​IMG] This one is definitely getting blown out and saved!

**EDIT/UPDATE**

I blew the itty bitty egg out this evening and it appeared to have no yolk. Just white and connective goo. She didn't lay again today. She appears to be eating and feeling fine though I didn't get a chance to pick her up and inspect her thoroughly. Could she be egg bound? What signs do I look for to tell if she is? Or is this just a fluke egg at the end of her laying cycle. She hasn't gone broody but she is a hatchery cochin and this is the first time we've tried to get her to, I didn't think it was possible to breed the broody out of a cochin, but you never know [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Insy, winsy, teeny, tiny egg. Surpriced you found it, it's so small![​IMG]

3. jessica117

jessica117 Songster

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    Anybody know what would cause this?

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They are called "wind eggs" or "fart eggs"

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Occasionally, some young hens will lay eggs that have no yolk whatsoever. These eggs, historically called "cock eggs" because some people erroneously believed that they were laid by roosters, are now often jokingly called "wind eggs" or "fart eggs" by people who raise chickens and encounter these unusual eggs with some regularity.

5. jessica117

jessica117 Songster

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    We've had chickens for a while and never encountered anything like this. Glad to know it's nothing to worry about. I planned on giving the blown out egg to my mother but I think I'll refrain from calling it a "fart egg" when I tell her about it [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: