Standard cochin people- I need your Help!

Rosecomb-Ryan

East Indie Crazed
11 Years
Apr 12, 2008
Sacramento CA
I was wondering if I should show any of there Standard cochins?
cockbird #1
069.jpg

cockbird # 2
067-1.jpg

and heres a bunch of hen pictures
072-1.jpg
037-1.jpg
038-1.jpg
039-1.jpg
043-1.jpg
054-1.jpg
055-1.jpg
056-1.jpg

Your hens are beautiful. As for the roosters I would show the 2nd rooster. His comb looks a lot better than the first rooster's comb. It has the correct number of points. Which i think is 5 for cochins. But that is my opinion.

They are all beautiful. It looks as though both roosters only have 4 points. They should have 5. I cannot see their feet so I cannot comment on them. They should be yellow or at least the bottoms all yellow. I think I like the shape of the 2nd roo better than the first but it may just be the picture. It is also hard to judge overall size on the pic.

The black hens look nice. However, I see a couple pretty large combs. I prefer the smaller ones. Again, it is really hard to tell in pics.

Your birds are very nice. I would enter them into a local show to start and see how they do. Talk to the judge afterwards and ask their opinion, usually they will talk to you. You can learn alot this way. By the way, where did you get your birds from?

Nice birds!
smile.png
The combs on the roos should have 5 points and it shouldn't flop to either side at all. Also, the back of the comb should grow smoothly into the head. It looks like the roos are probably in the breeding pen with the hens. Their tails are probably all "mussed up" from breeding. Several months before you show them they should be penned separately from the hens so their tail feathers can grow in and cover the underfluff.

I agree that the hens should have as small a comb as possible.

All in all...some great looking standard cochins!!

Back
Top Bottom