Standard Cochin Roos??

Wooden_Pony

Songster
12 Years
Aug 9, 2007
Mushroom Mardi Gras Land, CA
I know some of you have them. Turns out one of my "Pullets" is a roo.

I just want to know about your Standard Cochin roos personality. I heard they are sometimes quiter then other breeds of roos. I know depends on the roo.....

Any other info about them from your own personal experience I would LOVE to hear!

Thanks,
Lisa

I have a cochin/silkie roo and he is sweet. I got him grown so I didn't get to hand raise him and make him really sweet but he doesn't attack me or anything. I have a standard cochin roo chick and so far he is a doll.

I have had 2 banty cochin roos. 1 was very mean and we got rid of him immediatly. The other, Penelope, was very sweet, tame, and would cuddle. Unfortunately... he crowed...and crowed...and crowed...

but he was the sweetest thing!

Mine did not start crowing until relatively late, after my other roos had been crowing for weeks on end. And it sounds like a foghorn in comparison to the Buttercups. They don't seem to crow on their own, only if provoked.

They are all fairly sweet, although two of them got exiled to Chicken Jail for being too rough on the ladies. My biggest standard cochin roo is the Head Roo for the girls, and he is very protective of them. He still lets me pet him though, and he's never challenged me. He's very handsome, I will have to post a pic someday.

Thanks for the input on your roos!!

Hopefully
fl.gif
mine will stay sweet and quite, we have no other roos but some close neighbors.

I have a black standard cochin and he is very quiet. He is still young but is mating his gals and plenty old enough to be crowing by now. The other guys get going but he seems content to just listen.

Julie

I have one and he's great! I got him grown, he'd spent most of his time before I got him in a small cage, he follows me around and is gentle and quiet. The only other rooster I have is a baby so he's the only crower currently, and that may help him to be quiet, atleast as far as how much he crows, he does have a naturally quiet crow. He generally crows at 5 am, and it's a few and he's done. I'm not sure how much he was handled before I got him, he doesn't like to be touched or picked up, but he's nice and mellow and likes to be with me when I'm out, following me around the yard. Even if I didn't have any hens I'd probably keep him around to be a yard pet!

Mr Fancy Pants is friendly enough.
FancProfile.jpg

He has only pecked me twice, and both times I was reaching into the pop hole and moving a pullet out of my way. Just defending his girls from a possible stranger. When I opened the regular door, he just stepped back and let me do my business.

Back
Top Bottom