Standard Cochins-No Fertile Eggs Yet??????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tplummer, May 12, 2010.

1. tplummer

tplummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    We have a quad of standard cochins. They will be 1 in June. One of the three hens is actually going to be two in June. I have yet to get a fertile egg from them. Someone told me to trim the feathers around their backsides. I looked, and it looks like it is okay. There should be no problems from what I see. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what did you do. Are they still too young, maybe?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Pluck the vent feathers from all of them. Make sure they are getting a good quality feed with calcium (such as a laying pellet or crumble). Can you take a picture of a yolk for us to see?

BTW: Cochins take a long time to mature, but at almost a year old, they should be fertile.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  3. tplummer

tplummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    They are getting the calcium and a good food. We have been feeding them 18 plus protein. How far around the vent should I remove feathers? I do not want to pluck them naked. I have never had to do this before. Not to sound stupid, are there pictures of what it should look like when I have removed the proper amount? I definitely can get a yolk picture put on here. I will have to wait until I get home and can crack one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by