Standard frizzle cochin to X with what????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Crazy Chicken Fever, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Crazy Chicken Fever

Crazy Chicken Fever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Capac
    I have decided to get a fun little project started here on my farm and I thought I would get some opinions on what to cross my blue frizzle cochin roo with, because I cannot decide. Here are the choices in standard size birds:

Pure white EE
    Golden laced EE
    Blue laced red W
    Sliver laced W
    Polish (splash black or buff laced)
    Maran
    Welsummer
    White Leghorn

I have been thinking about this for days and cannot make up my mind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't have any standard cochin hens :eek:(, not yet anyways.

Any opinions will be welcome. Also looking for someone that will know what colors I will come up with with each cross (if you know)

If anyone would like eggs out of your choice of cross, I can do that too.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  2. Crazy Chicken Fever

Aug 8, 2009
    Capac
    Must not be an interesting topic, I feel like I am typing to myself..lol

3. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    What would the purpose of the breeding be for? like what's the goal?

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    cross it with everything [​IMG] I love frizzles. this summer we hatched some Potions ( polish x cochins) and some EE x cochins these turned out really cute massively fluffy birds with beards [​IMG] unfortunately I don't have any pics

5. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    He's beautiful! I also LOVE the frizzles, they are sooooooooooooo cute and fluffy! I would be curious as to the polish cross myself. [​IMG]

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Polish x Frizzle. . .

[​IMG]

I'm joking. The above bird is a purebred Polish with frizzled feathers and a rare color. A blue frizzle x Polish would create a bird that looks almost identical to what some people call a "Sizzle." - Small tophat, blue color, frizzling. . .

Since they're all mutts it is up to you.

Your EE crosses would be 50/50 of a frizzled green egg layer, but the coloring wouldn't be so spiffy.

7. Crazy Chicken Fever

Aug 8, 2009
    Capac
    My purpose is just pure fun. Everyone that comes to my farm tries to buy my frizzle cochin rooster. Considering he is so popular I thought I would make a few different options for local chicken lovers.

I also have a frizzle Polish rooster I plan to have some fun with, he is still a bit to young but I believe I am going to cross him with my partridge showgirl hen to start.

Here is another question......If I breed the blue roo to the pure white hen would I get all white chicks considering white is dominate?

8. Crazy Chicken Fever

Aug 8, 2009
    Capac
    Illia,

That polish is beautiful! I had a rooster just like him (not frizzled) but he was snatched up by something that needed a snack :eek:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by