Standard Height of waterer nipples

gmendoza

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Rock Hill,SC
I want to install waterer nipples on a pvc pipe.I have bantams and standards and large chickens.

What is the standard height for these breeds so they all can have waterer nipples to drink from comfortably?

I have just started and I found 18 or a few inches more off the ground with nipples on the bottom of a 5 Gal works well for the chics. I guess it depends which way the nips are pointing

I want to install waterer nipples on a pvc pipe.I have bantams and standards and large chickens.

What is the standard height for these breeds so they all can have waterer nipples to drink from comfortably?

It depends entirely on the size of the birds.

FROM ZIGGITY One of the largest manufactures of nipple drinkers-

How do you determine the best height for a watering line?

Base the height of the watering line on the size of the birds. On Day One, the trigger pin should be just slightly higher than the chicks' eye level. As the birds find the drinkers, raise the lines slightly, encouraging the chicks to stretch their necks. By the second or third day, drinker height should encourage the chicks to peck at about a 45-degree angle. As the birds age, continue to raise the drinkers. By four weeks, the drinker height should require the birds to peck at about a 50- to 55-degree angle. (Determine the angle by imagining a line drawn from the bird’s feet to its beak.) For more information click here Floor Management Procedures.

FROM VAL Another big supplier of nipple drinkers-

395454953.jpg

I have just started and I found 18 or a few inches more off the ground with nipples on the bottom of a 5 Gal works well for the chics. I guess it depends which way the nips are pointing

So what do you suggest for the bantms in the flock????????? 18"????????? They have to fly to reach that high. And there is only one way that a poultry nipple drinker should point - STRAIGHT DOWN!

18"-20" is usual

Usual for what? Chicks? Seramas? Leghorns ? Giants? And at what size of developement?

When the flock is pretty much the same size adjust the drinker height so that the smallest birds that will make it have to really strech to reach the drinker. If there are vastly different sizes in the flock consider providing steps for the smaller birds. Remember that a nipple drinker that is to low deprives birds of enough water.

Unless the birds in the flock is very simular in size and that size never changes having a system that cannot be adjusted in height is a mistake.

I see many pictures here on BYC that show drinkers that are entirely to low and with no easy way to adjust the height apparent.​

Back
Top Bottom