Standard of perfection frustration

newgoatgirl

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 28, 2014
I have been waiting for weeks for my copy of the standard of perfection to arrive. It got here today and although it was published in 2012, it is the 1905 edition!! It said that no where on the ad. I have been waiting to choose my culls based on the arrival of this book. I have lavender Orps and blr wyandottes- neither of these colours is even in here. Neither are Marans, Australorps, cream legbars. What should I do? It just snowed last night, I really don't want to wait another month! I am so frustrated! Thanks

I have been waiting for weeks for my copy of the standard of perfection to arrive. It got here today and although it was published in 2012, it is the 1905 edition!! It said that no where on the ad. I have been waiting to choose my culls based on the arrival of this book. I have lavender Orps and blr wyandottes- neither of these colours is even in here. Neither are Marans, Australorps, cream legbars. What should I do? It just snowed last night, I really don't want to wait another month! I am so frustrated! Thanks
That's strange. Where did you order the SOP from? It should be the 2010 edition (they haven't updated it since then). Lavender Orps and BLR Wyandottes are not recognized varieties of the APA. Marans were recognized in 2012 so they aren't added to the SOP yet, Cream Legbars are a crossbreed, so they aren't recognized.

Last edited:
So where could I find something similar for the breeds/varieties I have. I ordered this book off of amazon

You ordered the wrong book. Unless it was listed as 2012 and they sent you 1905, then you got ripped off. 2010 is the latest edition.

curious how much you paid for the 1905 edition. It's a collectors item.

Bf4L nailed it. The colors are not accepted, but the size and shape are the same on the Orps and Wyandottes regardless of color. Though may have changed since 1905.

Australorps were admitted in 1929 and are in the current edition that you should buy from here. http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/store.htm

So where could I find something similar for the breeds/varieties I have. I ordered this book off of amazon
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean to figure out what the requirements for your unrecognized breeds are? There really aren't any, but it might be best to contact a breeder of those unrecognized breeds/varieties.

For the updated SOP, try ordering off the APA's website. Ifish posted the link above.

The ONLY place one can buy the Standard of Perfection is from the American Poultry Association directly, as they are the sole author, the copyright holder and publisher. All other sources are buyer beware. On Ebay, many are merely photocopies of older versions. Beware.

The current SOP is the 2010. The next version is going to press next year, so the rumor has it. Since my breeds haven't changed in a half century or more, the current one is just fine. Might buy the new one next year just to support the APA.

The ONLY place one can buy the Standard of Perfection is from the American Poultry Association directly, as they are the sole author, the copyright holder and publisher. All other sources are buyer beware. On Ebay, many are merely photocopies of older versions. Beware.

The current SOP is the 2010. The next version is going to press next year, so the rumor has it. Since my breeds haven't changed in a half century or more, the current one is just fine. Might buy the new one next year just to support the APA.
I didn't know that. Cool! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom