1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

standard of perfection

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fowlsessed, Nov 25, 2011.

1. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Has anyone had a standard that is not the really new one because it is really expensive and amazon has some other ones for cheaper. are they good?

2. Narragansett

Narragansett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    It depends what you mean by "good". If you are going to show, they are necessary. The APA has a black and white soft cover version which is very cheap, but it is not updated with all of the newer breeds and varieties since it was first published. The ABA Standard, even new, is not that expensive.

3. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:Just bite the bullet and buy the current standard.. things change sometimes and although an older one may have what you think you need it may have changed a bit.

4. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG] I hate to sound dumb but what is a standard.If I knew what it is I might be able to help.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  6. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    I just want one to know what traits I want to breed for and what I want to cull for. And a standard of perfection is what the judges at poultry shows judge the contestants with. It shows and tells you what is good and what is bad about the chicken being shown. I think thats right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by