Standard or Bantam?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ilovechickensx, Aug 4, 2013.

1. ilovechickensx

ilovechickensx Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    UK
    Hi there, I'm new here [​IMG]

I wasn't sure where to put this topic so I hope it's okay here.

I bought three 3 week "standard" faverolles chicks at the beginning of May, they're now 16 weeks 2 days old.
    I feel they're a little on the small side though, this may be a really daft question, but is there any way of telling if they are bantams or is it just a case of waiting and seeing how big they grow? [​IMG]

Thank you!

2. ShayBaby

ShayBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Lucasville, OH
    I believe it's a matter of wait-and-see. Large fowl, at least most I've raised, stay small for quite awhile.

3. ilovechickensx

Aug 4, 2013
    UK
    Thank you Shaybaby! [​IMG]

These are the first chicks I've raised so don't really have anything to compare them to size wise, although I bought a cream legbar hybrid in April who was 16 weeks when we got her, she was small but much bigger than the chicks are now. I was hoping to start introducing them to the flock when they're 18 weeks but I might put it off for a while unless they have a sudden growth spurt - they just seem so small bless them

4. ShayBaby

ShayBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Lucasville, OH
    Good plan. :) I keep my younger standards separate until nearly full grown as even the feisty little bantams pick on them lol. Good luck with them and welcome to BYC!

5. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    Welcome to BYC!!

6. ilovechickensx

Aug 4, 2013
    UK
    Thank you for the welcome :D

I'm dreading introductions, I've never had a problem with them previously but I've seen people say faverolles are so docile and often get picked on. Chickens are such meanies sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by