1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Standard rooster breeding with smaller breeds

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kadjain, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 6 O.E. bantam / b. brahma cross hens with a flock of standard hens and a standard roo. They are not full size but they are definitely not bantam either. Just mid size hens. I got them in hopes of them being claimed by my bantam Amer. roo, which did happen and I was totally happy that things went as I wanted them to.
    Anyway my question is just a question. What would happen if you tried to hatch eggs that were fertilized by a standard roo and a half bantam hen? Would the chicks get too big for the egg shell size or could they hatch?

2. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

They will probably hatch. I have hatched all sorts of mutts, cochins x large fowl, stuff like that.

3. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, I forgot one of the hens is a Silky / B. Brahma cross, not O.E. cross. She is more standard size and sitting on 13 eggs right now (surprise! I found under a hen house). I'm almost positive it was my bantam roo who fertilized the crosses, but I can't be totally sure that the other standard roo isn't jumping on one when I'm not around. The standard roo has a ton of his own hens who he services daily.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    you will never be sure 'who dun it' unless you separate(fence) your roos with their own flock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by