1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

standard size rocks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cw, Jan 21, 2009.

1. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    what do you get if you cross white rock roo with barred hen?

barred roo and a white hen ?

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    i am not sure, but i think it forms a sexlink, i could be completly wrong though. I remember reading about sex links, and i thought if you cross a solid to a stripes/lace the females will have the fathers base color and the males will have the mothers base color, it was an old article, i coul dbe wrong.

3. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    a sex link?

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Google and searching this forum are excellent ways to find out what a sex-link is.

Sex-link: Crossbreed chicken that has been specifically bred for the ability to sex the males from females at birth.

5. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    i was wondering if it would still be a duel purpose chicken or would i loose quality of one or the other

6. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    They would still have the type of rocks however you would lose the color. I beleive that you might get combian patten.

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    White is a masking gene. If the white bird has gold under there you get one thing. Silver another. Columbian another. Barred another yet = barred.

In this case your rocks would be " a box of chocolates." You never know what you get until you try LOL

As long as any bird used is a Rock, you still get dual purpose rock type. You just can get some wild stuff going on, especially if you cross subsequent generations.

What you can't generate is partridge but that's about it.

It can be tons of fun if you aren't concerned about showing.

As long as you sell off or cull smaller, poorer birds and poor layers you can go with a whole EXPLOSION of colors, that are and aren't standard colors.

Which is not a bad thing.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you use a BR roo over anything, all chicks will have some barring. BR hens make great sexlinks because the males will be barred and females probably mostly solid colors--I've had that experience with several different breed roos over BR hens.

9. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    And you also produce some darned nice plain ol BR's [​IMG] Ponder and her pet rabbit are quite happy Cyn. LOL

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Glad to hear that, Cher![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by