Standard vs banties

Rosebud75

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
Vt
Debating what kind of chickens I want. I want some that will lay well, though they don't need to be production types. Because we are limited in size, I'm considering banties for their temperaments - but I've heard they don't lay well?

yep! we had some given to us and they lay very nicely! it's a smaller egg, but would add up nicely if you have a decent sized flock.

plus, they are little clowns! so way cute and entertaining.

my bantam leghorns lay everyday, and the orpingtons lay good sized eggs the second year. Trying some RIRs and Barred Rocks this year too but they are pretty young yet. I have an assortment of bantams so I think it helps with getting eggs more often, like cochins dont like to lay in the heat, and others dont like to lay in the winter, but the leghorns lay all the time. I just got some new cut light brown leghorns too. They are just adorable.
Salmon Favs lay all winter, I got a few of those this year.

My banties lay very well and I prefer their eggs to the large eggs. I have 5 hens and average 3-4 eggs a day. Sometimes they'll surprise me with 5!!

The one difference I've found between the two is that bantams are much more skiddish than the bigger chickens. Very friendly once you catch then...if you can catch them...but maybe that's just mine.

This is a helpful post...were in the process of making a bantam coop and I think I'm going to have hubby make it bigger now
big_smile.png
I want MORE bantams! Mostly polish and cochins...some D'uccles. Can't wait! I have D'uccles now who will stay in the house until we get the coop done. Were deciding where we want to put it! lol I don't want to wade through TOO Much snow to get to them in the winter.

I keep bantams. they eat less and I get some eggs year around. setting hens is the most problem but
you always have new pullets coming on. I have never had the leghorn bantam but I would think they would be good layers. I had one buff orpington bantam and she layed big eggs and seemed to lay longer of course like a fool I gave her to my son and he let her run out and was killed.
I usually have 16 hens and they take less room than the big hens and eat less. The eggs are small but 2 will be as much as one large egg.

I just. Can't. Decide! I keep reading about all these breeds, their temperaments, eggs, everything. So many different kinds! If I were going to order 10 or 15 chicks I would have an easier time of it, but chances are I will only be ordering 8 at the most from MyPetChicken.com! HOW can I narrow it down to only 8???!!!! Even when I say I only want extra-friendly, personable, good laying chickens who tolerate New England winters, I still end up with a long list!!! I think I got it narrowed down to 11 kinds right now...

Back
Top Bottom